I found the reason today and an hour later the fix was done. It has been my long lasting attempts to get rid of the InnoDB storage engine. The reason for getting rid of it is that it is to memoryhungry for the poor little Raspberry. Recently I changed the MySQL configuration to not load that storage engine but somehow that setting hadn't gone into effect. Untill now in the new image. And the result was not what I had forseen, and the interesting thing was that parts of the system was functional but many parts where not. (And my testing seemed to focus on the parts that did work)
I have now cleaned up the database and are in the progress of uploading the new image.